THE CORRIS INSTITUTE, CORRIS

Gwybodaeth sylfaenol

Cyfeiriad

Corris

Sir

Meirionnydd

 

Sylwadau

 

Am y gofeb

Nodiadau

The building was erected in 1911 as a community and local administrative centre, later adopted as a memorial to the First World War. Constructed in the late Medieval vernacular revival style of stone with pebbledashed exterior an rendered quoins to the ground floor, and a timber framed upper floor with whitewashed panels. The elevation to the road consists of 3 unequal bays. The left is set asymmetrically with a 3-light iron framed window in a rendered quoined surround on the ground floor, and a similar but unaligned 4-light window set in the framing of the first floor under a wide studded gable. The centre bay, to the right, has a projecting porch, open on the ground floor, with large bracketed posts forming an arch. Within, a boarded and studded door on strap hinges is set within an arch, and to either side are narrow iron windows. Brackets support the jettied first floor, which has a canted oriel window. The gable is further jettied and studded, with deep eaves. An upper bracketed beam carries an iron inscription reading 1939-1945, and a glazed clock is suspended from a lower iron bracket. The narrower third bay has 3-light windows on the ground floor and a similar window over. Applied to the first bay is a slate and marble First World War tablet with 24 names, and a smaller tablet with 9 names within the open porch commemorates those lost in the Second World War. The return elevation on the south side has two small gables over 3-light windows, each with some puntil panes, and double doors in an arched opening in the end bay. A bracketed chimney stack rises from the first floor near the centre, the upper shafts removed. The rear consists of two unequal rendered gables with similar windows to the first floor, and a large hipped slated extension on the ground floor.The front door opens to an oak panelled, through hall, with a timber partition on the left to the main assembly hall. This has a raised stage and a lateral slate fireplace with overmantel. OThere is an open well timber stair to the first floor, which has a large billiards room with raised side seating and open roof, and a library in a rear room. In the entrance, a stone panel affixed to the wall records the date of foundation and endowments given by Sir Howell J Williams, of London.(Source; Cadw listing description) S Fileding RCAHMW 17/10/2005.

Service persons

Enw Rheng Catrawd/Bataliwn Dyddiad marwolaeth
Arthur Ifor Williams Capten Royal Welsh Fusiliers 09/10/1918
Thomas Thomas arall Royal Welsh Fusiliers 11/07/1916
Iorwerth Roberts Is-gorporal Royal Welsh Fusiliers 10/07/1916
John Pattison Milwr Cyffredin Royal Welsh Fusiliers 10/08/1915
Henry Rees Milwr Cyffredin Royal Welsh Fusiliers 31/10/1916
Robert Williams Milwr Cyffredin Royal Welsh Fusiliers 04/08/1917
Lewis Jones Milwr Cyffredin Royal Welsh Fusiliers 13/11/1916
Hugh Pugh Milwr Cyffredin Royal Welsh Fusiliers 17/01/1918
Richard Jones Milwr Cyffredin Royal Welsh Fusiliers 28/06/1918
William Lewis Milwr Cyffredin Royal Welsh Fusiliers 06/11/1917
John Edwards Ail Is-gapten arall 06/07/1916
Tudor Edwards arall Royal Engineers 15/09/1916
Morrice Greer Capten Royal Welsh Fusiliers 16/06/1917
Rhys Evans Milwr Cyffredin arall 19/07/1918
Idwal Davies Milwr Cyffredin Royal Army Medical Corps 24/10/1918
William Edwards Milwr Cyffredin Royal Army Medical Corps 07/10/1917
Humphrey Lewis Rhingyll Royal Artillery 15/09/1917
Evan Davies Milwr Cyffredin Royal Artillery 14/01/1918
Samuel Jones arall Royal Artillery 27/05/1918
Ebenezer Roberts Milwr Cyffredin arall 26/08/1918
Hugh Jones Milwr Cyffredin Royal Army Service Corps 08/09/1918
William Davies Milwr Cyffredin arall 10/04/1918